Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

9 Month Check-Up

Aidan had his 9 month check-up yesterday. He needed dose #2 of the flu shot before Christmas, so we went in two weeks early. It was kind of a good new/bad news session. Good news, Aidan is developmentally right where he should be...sitting, standing, crawling, pulling himself up, babbling mama, baba, and knows how to say "up" and what it means.

Bad news, he's too skinny. Yes, he has always been skinny, but this time around he is too skinny. In September he weighed 15 lbs 4 oz. Now he weighs 16 lbs 11 oz. Not much of a weight gain for almost three months. He is eating the recommended amount of formula, but isn't eating much in the way of finger foods. Basically, he refuses to pick them up, and if I put them in his mouth, he spits them out. I feed him pureed or mashed fruits/veggies at mealtimes, and he eats those along with Gerber Puffs, which he will feed himself.

Finger foods we've tried and have been rejected...bread/toast, peach chunks, kiwi chunks, banana slices, cheese. The doctor wondered if it wasn't a texture aversion and tossed out the idea of going to see a speech therapist that specializes in feeding evaluations. Not going to lie, I was slightly shocked. He said it was totally up to me, but that he would write the referral just in case I decided it was needed.

As a special education teacher I know the importance of early intervention, but I am still struggling with this. Maybe Aidan just hasn't had enough practice. Maybe he's a picky eater. Or maybe taking him to get the evaluation would be a good idea just to see what they have to say. Regardless of my indecision, they called yesterday afternoon and I scheduled an appointment for January 7th. That gives us about three weeks to work with Aidan and see if he starts eating finger foods on his own. If he does, great. Then I can cancel the appointment. If not, I will take him in and see if there is something to be concerned about.

Here are his 9 month stats:

Height: 29 in---84th %
Weight: 16 lbs 11 oz---6th %
Head: 18 in---72nd %

1 comment:

Soupy said...

I have to say,i think 9 months is a little young to start writing referrals to the feeding clinic. Um, give him time? Geesh. I think just continuing to offer him a variety of foods will take time and see how it goes? Ugg. hugs. I'm here to listen and bounce ideas off- I'll ask Mary at lunch what her thoughts are on this, too!