Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The First Cut Is The Deepest

Good news/Bad news

Bad News:
We had our first official "owie" today. After lunch, Aidan was standing behind one of the dining room chairs, holding onto it, while I rinsed off his tray. Next thing I know, thump, he's sprawled on his back screaming with the chair on top of him. Thankfully our chairs are really light, but it managed to catch him just right and split his eyelid open. Contrary to usual head wounds, this one bled very little, but I could tell right away that it was deep. I tried to hold a cold pack on his eye, but he was too upset. I fixed him a bottle, which stopped the screaming, and allowed me to hold the cold pack on his eye for a couple of minutes at a time. When his bottle was gone he didn't cry any more and the bleeding had stopped. Whew...I thought Aidan and I handled that pretty well.

When Kyle got home about an hour and a half later he thought Aidan should to go to the doctor and might need stitches. *I said they wouldn't be able to do anything since it was on his eyelid, right above his lashes* But, I didn't want to look like an uncaring, negligent mother, so I agreed to take Aidan in. Luckily there was an appointment open 30 minutes after I called and it was with Aidan's pediatrician. Dr. Y saw us right away and wasn't overly concerned with the cut. He said that even if it had been worse there wasn't much they would have been able to do. Aidan's cut was closing on it's own and it wasn't gaping or ragged around the edges. So, Aidan has a puffy blue eyelid for the time being and is now wary of the dining room chairs. I'm guessing the evidence of today's tumble will last longer than Aidan's hesitancy around the chairs.

Good News:
In more exciting and happy news, Aidan is walking voluntarily for longer distances. He walked from the loveseat to the couch without holding onto anything and then again from the coffee table to the couch. (Kyle was sitting on the couch) You can see the wheels turing in his brain while he tries to decide if he should go for it or not. Pretty soon it will be second nature.

No comments: