Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Explosions

Happy 4th of July everyone! Aidan treated me to an early show yesterday afternoon by projectile vomiting all over himself, me, the rocking chair, the floor, even things that were behind him. Don't ask me how that happened. At least it was pretty vomit, due to the 3 blueberries he had eaten earlier in the day. Let me back up and start at the beginning...

Aidan woke up with a low-grade fever on Thursday morning and seemed a little out-of-sorts, but not too sick. He ate, drank, and napped normally so I figured it was just his teeth making themselves known. Thursday night he spiked a 103.1 degree fever and had rapid, shallow breathing. Not his teeth. We called the nurse careline and they told us to give him more fever-reducing meds. We did, and the fever went down around 3am. Friday was the same...every time the Tylenol or ibuprofen wore off, his fever would go back up. He ate three blueberries on Friday morning and refused anything to drink. I was getting worried about dehydration so I made him a 2 oz. bottle around 1:30pm and he slowly sipped from it. Then, he projectile vomited everywhere. Bad idea, Mommy. I'd reached my limit of "waiting it out" and decided to visit the doctor for peace of mind. Of course, it was July 3rd, and the doctor's offices were all closed. Urgent Care had a two hour wait, so I ended up just taking him to the ER. Poor Aidan was poked and prodded in every hole on his body. Since he wasn't keeping anything down they gave him a Tylenol suppository, swabbed his nose and throat, and used a catheter to take a urine sample. Oye. The scariest part was that he just laid on my chest for the three hours were there. Dozing on and off, not really with it. The strep, flu, and urine tests all came back negative meaning Aidan has a virus. Not surprising, but I just wanted to make sure. Aidan perked up a little bit after they gave him some anti-nausea medication and we were discharged.

We went home, Aidan drank a little pedialyte, then fell asleep. For 16 hours straight. I'm not going to lie, it was creepy and abnormal. He didn't even wake up the 3 times I went in and gave him Tylenol or ibuprofen. He seems to be feeling a little better today. He's drinking more fluids and has kept a little toast and a few crackers down. I'm hoping the next time he wakes up he's a little perkier. I'm also hoping the only explosions I see today are fireworks in the sky.

No comments: